Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Campgrounds (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Grand Canyon Trip Campground Suggestions (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90847)

Lhinkle114 04-01-2024 11:58 AM

Grand Canyon Trip Campground Suggestions

We will be traveling from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon in our 40Ft fifthwheel around the end of Jun and am looking for some campground ideas with hookups. We had hopes to see the Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion during that visit. Any places and or ideas of things to stay, see, and do.

Thank you for all your help

Larry

Richard Blackwell 04-01-2024 12:41 PM

We've twice used the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park located in Williams, AZ., and took the train up to the Grand Canyon. Made for an entertaining and fun experience. Both the visit to the Canyon and walk-about visiting shops/restaurants in Williams make for a good trip. Both times we spent only 3 nights at that RV park which gave us plenty of time for everything.

AZ Traveler 04-01-2024 02:41 PM

Larry,

Since you also want to see Bryce and Zion in addition to Grand Canyon I recommend Kanab UT. It is about 40 minutes north of the north rim. If you specifically want to go to the south rim you will need a day to reposition.

If you stay in Kanab recommend Grand Plateau RV. If you decide to do the south rim stay in Williams and then stay at Ruby's Inn near Bryce.

Lhinkle114 04-01-2024 05:30 PM

Thank you for all your responses I am booking as we speak. One last question, any ideas for Grand Tetons rv parks?

AZ Traveler 04-01-2024 05:42 PM

Larry,

We stayed in Jackson last time up at Grand Teton. Would not do that again - a tourist trap with lots of traffic and people. Very high dollar park with few amenities. We drove through Colter Bay Park although we did not stay there - looked nice.

twindman 04-01-2024 09:35 PM

Per the Tetons, etc. I am staying in Jackson this summer. Pretty much the only rv park in town that is decent. Wait for it ----- $165 per night. And they limit length to 35 feet, but when I called he said he could fit my 37 footer in ok. I stayed at the Colter Bay village rv park. Full hookups, but this was 4 years ago and my 50th anniversary. I tried for this summer and pretty much a no go. You book 6 months in advance I believe. And you better be online and ready to go and book withing 10 minutes of opening (if you are lucky). Next to impossible to get booked. There is another site at the 'junction' corner and a couple of miles east. Not rated too good tho.
Good luck finding something.
OH, by the way if you see Bryce and Zion, you can't really tow between the two. You have to get permission from 'someone' and shut down the tunnel traffic to just one way, as it is either to low or narrow for 2 way traffic with an rv. Otherwise you have to drive way around it.

Lhinkle114 04-03-2024 09:05 AM

Thank you for the response. My RV LIFE app has me going south towards hurricane and then down in Arizona and back up north of avoid a lot of the hills. Hope that works. Have no idea. Never been there. Thank you for your help.

TWC84 04-03-2024 11:04 AM

Flagg Ranch between Yellowstone and Grand Tetons can accommodate a 40' RV. We stayed there and it was convenient to the Grand Tetons and Jackson.

TWC84 04-03-2024 11:12 AM

With regard to travel from Bryce to Zion, we went west out of Bryce to I-15 and then came into Zion from the west side. Avoids to the Zion tunnel on the east side and it wasn't that much out of the way.

ChrisW 04-07-2024 03:06 PM

We’re visiting the Grand Canyons end of June too. We’re coming in from Colorado and have booked the KOA in Williams, AZ. We do have a trip planned with the train and guided bus tour that leaves Williams. I hear entry into the park can be an hour, so this will work well for us.

RicknTee 04-07-2024 03:18 PM

North Rim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhinkle114 (Post 1290275)
We will be traveling from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon in our 40Ft fifthwheel around the end of Jun and am looking for some campground ideas with hookups. We had hopes to see the Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion during that visit. Any places and or ideas of things to stay, see, and do.

Thank you for all your help

Larry

Kaibab RV Village, North Rim, nice location and campground.

twindman 04-07-2024 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicknTee (Post 1290510)
Kaibab RV Village, North Rim, nice location and campground.

North Rim is very isolated. Much less crowded a few years ago when I went, tho.
And for ChrisW, KOAs are usually pretty expensive. I forget the exact name, but right in Williams is a 'Railroad' campground. Just walk over and get on the train. I don't think it is any more than KOA and I think the KOA is farther out of town. And if you are in to walking, I think there are many places to eat within 4-8 blocks from the RV park.

gchesnutt 04-08-2024 10:17 AM

I highly recommend Arches. It is by far the best of the big 5 in Utah. We have visited many/most national parks and Arches is second only to Yellowstone.

twindman 04-08-2024 05:34 PM

One of the 5 NPs in Utah - I think it was Arches - had a long line of vehicles lined up to get in. You must have a reservation to get, and these people were waiting for their scheduled time!!!!

gchesnutt 04-09-2024 07:06 AM

Yes you do need reservations to get in in the mornings because this is such a spectacular park. However there is a secret. You can go there about 3 pm or after without reservations and drive straight in. No line, no wait. You will have plenty of time to do everything you want because there are very few people there! The views are even more spectacular with the setting sun. I did that 3 days in a row. Always worked.

twindman 04-09-2024 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gchesnutt (Post 1290575)
Yes you do need reservations to get in in the mornings because this is such a spectacular park. However there is a secret. You can go there about 3 pm or after without reservations and drive straight in. No line, no wait. You will have plenty of time to do everything you want because there are very few people there! The views are even more spectacular with the setting sun. I did that 3 days in a row. Always worked.

Thanks. GOOD INFO!

Lhinkle114 04-09-2024 02:28 PM

What great ideas get into the parks I also heard that arches does not recur time pass if you get in before 7 AM has anybody heard of that?

marric1 04-10-2024 08:37 AM

Bryce and Zion

For visiting Bryce and Zion, I would highly recommend Ruby's Inn RV Park. It is about 1.5 hours from Zion, so it is a nice day drive. Capitol Reef National Park is about 2 hours and a spectacular drive on beautiful scenic byway 12. Then Bryce is only 3 miles from the RV park. You can walk from your camp spot to the free park shuttle. Ruby's Inn has pools, hot tub, showers restaurant, gift shop and small market plus plenty of other things to do.