Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tow Vehicles & Towing (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Towing with 2022 silverado standard bed (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90937)

mpd2001 04-19-2024 02:10 PM

Towing with 2022 silverado standard bed

Hi, new to the group as wife and I just purchased a 2021 3120RL. Question is do I have to have a slider hitch to tow this or will a fixed hitch work? I am planning on switching to a goosebox hitch but wondering if i can use the hitch I have in the mean time.

AZ Traveler 04-19-2024 03:10 PM

Mike,

Welcome to the forum!

You can certainly use a fixed hitch to tow until you convert to goosebox as long as you resist sharp turns.

Be aware many have used the fixed hitch but get overconfident and take out the rear window of their truck.

Foldbak 04-19-2024 06:39 PM

I highly recommend a slider. I have a 2020 GMC short bed with a slider and I can do about 85 degrees. Demco has 14" of slide. Good for tight spots!

432bartman 04-20-2024 11:14 AM

You do not need a slider. I can almost go to 90 degrees with my Reese Goosebox. Older trailers with the squared off front CAP, then yes, but the new designs of the rounded front CAP, you don't need one. By the way, you'll love the Reese Goosebox.

Gonefishing 04-20-2024 11:24 AM

If you don’t get a slider be very carful when making tight turns or you will be replacing the rear winder in you truck. Do you need it may not. But better safe than sorry.

Foldbak 04-20-2024 07:45 PM

My first trip out with this rig, I pull into a delta camp ground. I ask what site is available, I'm told that I can take any open spot. I see one I like and head that way. I get there and someone is backing into it. I go around the circle again and see the same trailer at the other end of the circle. I ask him if he's taking that site, he reply's, NO! I can't get into it. It's my first time out. I broke my fricken back window. I'm leaving! So I took the site.....:blush:

Mikelff 04-24-2024 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpd2001 (Post 1291097)
Hi, new to the group as wife and I just purchased a 2021 3120RL. Question is do I have to have a slider hitch to tow this or will a fixed hitch work? I am planning on switching to a goosebox hitch but wondering if i can use the hitch I have in the mean time.

I would recommend a slider. I was making a tight right turn and thought I was ok… NOT. Didn’t break my back window but put a dent in the corner of the roof of my truck. Have a slider now. If you are going to change hitch you might as well do it now. You can use a fixed hitch but your turn radius is going to be wide. Be careful.

LarryG82 04-24-2024 09:32 PM

MPD: We also have a 2021 3120, T/V is 2020 GMC 3500, factory puck system with fixed B&W Companion. We can turn pretty tight, probably 75-80 degrees no problem. Just need to be aware of limits (lots of open parking lot practice before Marian voyage) and you should be fine.

fuquatj 04-25-2024 08:13 AM

It will break your back glass even if you do have a slider hitch....that is if it's pouring rain so you don't want to get out of the truck to slide the hitch back, then you get over confident and think to yourself..."nah, I can make that u turn"......(don't ask me how l know).

Foldbak 04-25-2024 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuquatj (Post 1291376)
It will break your back glass even if you do have a slider hitch....that is if it's pouring rain so you don't want to get out of the truck to slide the hitch back, then you get over confident and think to yourself..."nah, I can make that u turn"......(don't ask me how l know).

Not if you have an auto slide. :whistling:

High5er 04-25-2024 09:59 AM

I previously had a Silverado 2500 standard bed and Cougar 364MBI that I towed with an Andersen hitch. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by 'fixed' or if you have something similar to the fixed B&W Companion hitch, but I could get slightly over 90 degrees with the Andersen. It absolutely depended on the receiver/adapter orientation on the pin box. When it was initially installed, it was terrible. I could get maybe 60-70 degrees because they oriented the adapter backwards. All good once it was installed correctly.

daboom11 04-25-2024 12:14 PM

I'm living proof that even when you have a slider and get stuck on a dead end road, it's not so good for the rear glass. LOL

Safelight Repair, Safelight Replace! $600.00

StageCoachDriver 04-25-2024 07:27 PM

Fixed hitch will work if you're careful making sharp turns and/or baking into tight spots. I have a long bed and I've had my truck at 90 degrees backing into my storage spot more than once (not a very wide access road and everything is parked at 90 degrees to the access road).

prndl 04-25-2024 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Reese Sidewinder for sale and you can do a 90 Degree turn with it and no slider.
And your truck bed will be available from the hitch back for storage and a generator and nothing will hit it.

I used this hitch for years and it works great.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=90769