View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Electricians and Electrical Gurus input needed

First of all, this has nothing to do with RV's. Most of the MOC hopefully remembers last years dock project that was detailed, and I am pleased to report that the final phase of the project is soon to commence. Part of the project is electrical, so I am soliciting advice, opinions and experience from my on-line knowledge base, of which the MOC is a primary component. Last year a few MOCers followed the progress of the project and next is the installation of a floating boat lift and the associated electrical and water pedestal. I have decided on a Hatteras pedestal which will provide 30 amp and 20 amp connections along with a fresh water hookup. The questions are as follows:
1) I know the 30 amp feed will require 10 guage wire, but does it physically have to be grounded to a grounding rod or will the ground through the breaker box suffice?
2) Ditto the above question with regards to the 20 amp feed which will be 12 guage wire.
3) I am also curious for the breaker installation whether I should use ground fault breakers at the main box. The pedestal has GFCI breakers on it, so is the additional expense necessary in the main breaker or will the pedestal breakers suffice?

Obviously, if and when all is finished, additional photos will be posted as an addition to the original slide show that was previously posted showing the dock construction from beginning to it's current state. For those like me who are stickhouse bound, suffering cabin fever and want a refreshing break, here is a link to last year's slideshow:
Dock Construction Slideshow
We are planning on the addition of a couple of picnic tables with umbrellas, already added a couple of benches and a Chiminea. The final details will be adding wood ballusters to the handrails on the ramp and steps. Obviously, we cannot wait for this year since the total project will be complete and we will be able to fully enjoy our new island paradise! The other benefit, is with all this construction over and done with, there will be more time for camping and in particular the three rallies that we have on the Calendar for this year!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote