View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Brake wiring routing?

Hello Group,

I have been chasing a intermittent trailer disconnected message on my OEM Ram brake controller. I have cleaned the 7 pin on the trailer end and greased it. Checked the socket and double checked it was plugged into the truck harness.

In checking the wiring at the trailer wheels, found the wiring from the underbelly was rubbing against the springs, so I relocated it and zip tied it in place to avoid the springs. Also pulled some wire from both tubes looking for a bare spot, and found nothing.

But, I did notice the wire from the underbelly is similar to the wire inside the axle tubes. In checking the connections at the pin area, the wire to the trailer is normal stranded wire. Somewhere the wire from the pin area is joined to the 2 wires going to the brakes.

So the question, does anyone know where the wires from the pin area join the wiring to the axle area. The indication I get is a disconnect rather than a short, so I am looking for a loose connection (intermittent) rather than a wire rubbed to ground. The trailer is loaded for a trip, and looking in the cargo area shows no connection that I would think are brake wires. I am thinking the connections are behind the panel separating the cargo area from the underbelly area.

Hard to fix something that is not broke, but got a couple of mountain passes to go over and no brakes are a bit of a concern. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote