View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
30 amp vs. 50 amp power hookup

I've read enough posts about how much easier it is to handle a 30 amp power cord than a 50 amp power cord to persuade me to get a 30 amp power cord for regular use--although I'll take along the 50 amp cord when we full time just in case I get to some place where I need it.

Soooo-just what do I need to buy and how should I hook things up? Should I get a 25' 30 amp cord? Some other length? Can/should I get a 30 amp cord that has a 50 amp female end to hook to the Montana, or do I need a 30/50 amp adapter to hookup to the Montana? And if I need an adapter, do I get a simple, less expensive one with a regular 50 amp female connector, or do I need (and/or should I get) an adapter that has the marine type female end that one can lock into the Montana outlet?

And let me make things more complicated. If I go with a 50 amp Autoformer, how does that affect what cords/adapters I get, recognizing that at times I'll need to connect a 30 amp power cord to the 50 amp Autoformer which in turn needs to be connected to an adapter/cord that ties into the Montana.

Ouch--I'm getting a headache. What is it that you all do to handle this in a way that is much simpler than what I've tried to describe?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote