View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
A Message from Waynem on IKE

Wayne and his wife sit out IKE in their unit is a campground just north of Houston. The eye went right over them, he wrote:

Lost power around midnight. Kicked in the generator. Only problem is I did not fuel up and have a little less than 1/3 tank. Other problem is that after it's over there will not be any gas pumps running for me to get diesel. Wonder how long this can run on a 1/3 tank of diesel. I'll have to keep monitoring it.

On the prayer side, they seem to be working. I'll send a picture later. I parked Earlene's car between the nose of the MH, and a tree about 12 inches in diameter. My reasoning was that if I put it anywhere else and the tree feel it would get the full weight and do some major crushing, and that by having it a few feet away, well maybe, just maybe it would not be so bad. Did not even think about what side of the storm it would be on because we were not really sure where the storm was going. Also, it might protect the nose of the MH. (Hee! Hee!)

The tree fell over. It fell the opposite direction instead of the car or MH

I don't have the slightest idea of what the winds are here or what they have been. There isn't much reporting for up in this area. Every one is more interested in the "major" cities, and of course those areas with major disaster for "newsworthy" items.

As the light winds picked up a little last night I told Earlene it was time to pull in the major slide, the 19 foot one. About half an hour later, 2130 hours, I pulled the other one in. I have not heard any large items go bump in the night. The guy on the street side of me has a kayak that is laying on the ground inbetween us. I'm not about to go out and secure it right nowl, and so far it has remained stationary.

Some guy and wife in a CRV are riding around the CG. Not me - Hope all this goes away by noon or 1400 hours at the latest and we just get some rain and slight tropical gusts.

Can't blame anyone but myself for not going longer and further away - next time. A fool once, dumb the second time, but I'm not stupid - or am I??????

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote