Thread: CGR/DPF delete
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #17
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmi01 View Post
I can't speak to the GM or Cummins engines, but I did dread a reliable source on the internet that doing a EGR delete will not solve the issues with the 6.0 powerstroke.

I personally did not delete the EGR or the cat convertor on mine when I did an engine rebuild. The EGR does create more heat in the intake thus higher EGT's under load. A good EGR cooler upgrade can take care of the heat related failures of the EGR coolers.

Mike
Bought our '06 F350 Dually Laredo five years back. The truck only had 28k miles on it and I paid $28k for it. Figured if the engine blew up, I could put a new one in and still be ahead. I read about everything posted online about 6.0s and was about to do the EGR delete and change out the oil cooler when I came across a big post by a retired Ford assembly line guy. He said they'd see sand falling out of new blocks after being put on engine stands and spun over to install misc. stuff. International made them for school buses and short haul box trucks, not pickups, and never really cleaned the blocks out after casting. Ford didn't either. He recommended power flushing the cooling system, putting on an aftermarket coolant filter and not doing anything else. That's what I did right away. The power flush machine was like a visible gas pump and the old coolant was grey in color! Since then I've had one injector go bad (they're mechanical and need a lubricating additive - my bad) and an internal high pressure oil line break in 48k miles of mostly towing the Monty. That includes three trips out west and towing at 65 - 70 mph, up and down mountains, etc. Truck has been a great buy - and NO DEF!!!