View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Talking 6K axles to 7K axles

Been sitting here thinking. DW says I should not do that without proper supervision, but she is not here right now. This not something I have any intention of doing. Just curious.

Have read here (not lately) and other RV sites about someone wanting to replace their 5,200 lb axles with 6K or 7K axles. Or replacing 6K axles with 7K axles. But is that really a good idea? On the surface the immediate thought is the heavier duty the better. But trailer axles are made with a built in camber (bend or bow) that makes the center higher and the ends slanted slightly downward when installed. That makes the tires tilt slightly outward at the top until the trailer weight is lowered onto the axles. Then the axles would flex enough that, in theory, the tires would then be vertical spreading the weight across the full width of the thread.

But if the new axles were rated for much higher weight than the OEM axles, would those new axles flex enough to get the tires back to vertical? Or would they still be slightly tilted putting more weight on the outer edges of the tires and result in more/faster wear along that outer edge?

OK, that has made my little brain tired. Now I will dump it on you.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote