View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsull View Post
Def was introduced after DPF. DPF is Diesel Particulate filter. It's basically a giant catalytic converter that catches all the soot. It will regenerate at times which is it basically gets the catalyst hot and then sprays diesel fuel onto it to burn it out. I think dodge started putting them on at the 2007.5 year trucks. Increasing the diameter post DPF can help, but I don't think it would be as noticeable as full exhaust I don't have anyone I know that has done one.

DEF is a fluid that is sprayed into the exhaust stream to break down NOX emissions. It is introduced after the turbo but before the DPF. It was introduced on the dodge trucks I think in 2013. They were the last light duty line to start using DEF.

This is just very basic explanation. Theres a lot of crap that goes into these systems. If your truck is an 08 it should have a DPF. If you do a lot of city type low speed, stop and go, you'll want to take her out to stretch her legs every so often. we've had the best luck with regen on our work trucks running them down the freeway for about 45 minutes. Dodge is nice enough to not tell you if your in regen mode, but if you have a EGT gauge you'll see an increase of EGT's, or if you have an edge insight or the like I think they tell you as well.

Hope this helps.
DOH. Yeah, I had a brain fart. I knew that the 08 had DPF and EGR. I was debating whether to get the 07 with the 5.9 Cummins without the EGR/DPF but finally decided that the exhaust brake and 6-spd tranny on the 08 was worth it.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote