View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #42
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and JoAnn View Post
Hi John, Im going to give you my two cents based on the facts that I used to sell GM vehicles and that I own a 2014 non dually 2500 HD. I also tow a 42 ft fifth wheel with it. Everyone telling you they are the same truck as a 3500 are correct. With the diff being the leaf springs. All I did was take it to have one additional set of leaf springs added to increase the box weight capacity. That increased the box capacity to an extra 1000 lbs. Cost me around $400 to do it. That being said, I will also agree that a dually would be safer and more stable to tow with. Also to make a point, I read a comment about a non dually truck having more trouble stopping. This is not totally true as EVERY campers own breaks MUST have the ability to stop its total rated weight all on its own. If you have your trailer brakes set correctly, the trailer brakes will handle its own weight. Go the route with your truck that makes you comfortable. Either way will do the job.

I understand where your coming from and your logic but respectfully take issue with it:

While it may be true that the trailer brakes are supposed to stop the trailer all by themselves, I don't think I have ever seen a trailer brake setup (at least from the factory) that I would trust 100% and for sure you can bet they won't stop the trailer in a reasonable distance. Granted I can see where this may be a little different story with an aftermarket disc brake setup and I am certainly in favor of that improvement!

My arguments in favor of DRW still stand as:

DRW LOADED will logically stop shorter and more stable than an SRW. DRW has a third more rubber on the road and the wider stance is for certain more stable. Yes unloaded in the rain a DRW is more likely to skid when braking at high speed but any reasonable person would gladly trade that for better braking and more control under LOADED conditions.

DRW spreads the LOAD across a third more tires. If there is any real reason to choose the DRW this has to be it. You can say all you want about tow weight ratings but I challenge anyone to argue this one isn't true.

I know everyone's circumstances are not alike and that some folks need the larger camper but can't afford the larger tow vehicle. Someone who has to full time (such as construction workers who stay for extended time frames in other states) buying more camper than their tow vehicle should tow is one thing. BUT I don't think we should advise folks who are new to towing and plan to tow a lot of miles to match an undersized tow vehicle to a large trailer. In fact, it may well open us up to litigation to do so. Lets adopt a policy of advising people what would be safe for certain. If they decide to go with less that's on them.

Hurricane survivor "It isn't just that the wind is blowing, its what the wind is blowing around. Like that Volvo"!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote