View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #71
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I have been following this thread with great interest. As a result I applied for my class A license. I must say, dealing with PennDot is just short of smacking your thumb with a sledge hammer.
I visited two state DMV offices and spoke with five different employees. Three of the guys actually got into a heated discussion about what is and what is not required. I was given the wrong forms, left hanging while they 'conferred' with someone in back, and left with my head spinning. I did finally get my class A learners permit.
The PennDot web site is even worse, I won't even go there. Then I learned that there are contracted third party CDL examiners available. OK, great, so I have to pay. Contacted three within 100 miles of me. They were awesome......except.....they are not allowed to test for NON commercial class A licenses, only for commercial. One lady at a local training school was super, provided exact info and all the CDL manuals in pdf format, she really knew her stuff.
Anyway, I now have about 40 pages of detailed info that I have to learn, I found a friend who still has a current class A CDL and is willing to go with me, AND....I got an appointment for the test in two weeks. I have to do this quickly as we have several trips pending.
Here we go!
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote