View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Best brands of Class A Motorhomes

Ok before anyone beats me up for talking about brands and things other than Montana 5th wheels, at least hear me out. I trust the folks on this forum more than any other source. As such, I hope you will indulge the sincere question below as it relates to what will be a very large investment no matter which way we go.

We are a few years out from retirement and not by choice living full time in our Montana HC 381TH. We originally bought the unit as weekend warriors chasing white water in the Ozark Mountains. Now we are stuck due to my career in the New Mexico desert. Why oil drilling booms can't happen somewhere like Florida or Hawaii is beyond me.

Despite the less than desirable location (saved only by great neighbors and my grandkids living nearby), the HC has served us fairly well as a fulltime home. BUT we are looking down the road at retirement and as such what RV we will purchase next. We plan to winter in Florida and summer part time on the road (spending a month or so at each location and then moving a few days away to the next). We will still maintain our country estate in the Arkansas Ozarks (its just to pretty to give up and it is where we will spend those last few years when traveling finally gets to be too much).

We are trying to decide if we want to stay with a 5th wheel or step up to a Class A. We have a LOT of toys we want to take with us when we will be traveling during the summer as full retirees. The thoughts are either tow a 5th wheel with a one ton while the wife tows the toys in our 24' enclosed trailer with a 3/4 ton OR buy a Class A and a double decker enclosed trailer so we can ride together. We are fairly sure what we would buy for our next 5th wheel so that isn't an issue.

However we don't have nearly as much experience with Class A units. We have had a Class A gas before but not a diesel pusher. As we look at those I am wondering which brands are considered better and that is the main question I am asking here. We clearly understand the additional costs of a Class A that is not the question. Just need to know what the best brands are and what to look for in frames, engines and such.

Its a very big decision no matter which way we go.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote