View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #48
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Your pin weight will change EVERY time you load up for a trip. I know myself, sometimes I take the genny/coolers full of ice/extra chairs or whatever. Some times I don't.

Sure, it's dynamic. For us, it doesn't change that much because we just don't have that many options. Don't have a genny (at least that we take). Don't take coolers, and if we did, they are at the back of the RV. All the chairs that we would ever need are in the RV in the back.

Quote:

Maybe its just you in the truck. Next trip its you, your wife and 3 in the back seat. Some trips may be with full water, some empty. You get the idea.

For this reason everyone should be using the GVWR or the camper to determine what truck has the capacity to do the job.

16,500lbsx20%=3300lbs pin weight
16,500lbsx25%=4125lbs pin weight

ALWAYS me and my wife. Sometimes my mom, never more.

I actually KNOW the loaded weight of our RV, and it is 15,000 LOADED. That number is scaled, and actually even a little bit high for variance.

So, 20% = 3000
25% = 3750

Quote:

The following #s will of coarse very, but just a possible example:

So at 20% of camper GVRW =3300lbs pin+you @175lbs+your wife @150lbs+ 3 in the back seat at @150ea+hithch @200lbs+bed of firewood @500lbs=4775lbs. Clearly above the CCC of any SWR pickup EVER made.

Hell that's within 200lbs of my duallys CCC (just shy of 5000lbs)

Another consideration is your rear tire capacity. They may very well be exceeded before your CCC
Man, I don't know how much firewood you're taking with you, but it's a LOT!!! My RV 15,000 lbs above INCLUDED 3 days worth of firewood in the RV!!

So, this is what I look:

3000 lbs pin (but pin weight needs to be verified)
200 lbs hitch (known)
400 lbs people (slightly high)
275 lbs fuel (slightly high)
------
3875 lbs total with 2 people
4075 lbs total with 3 people

All of the SRW's EXCEPT the Ford 350 are OVER this number, but close, and the Ford is only over by 135 lbs. We only have mom with us about 10% of the time, so I would be comfortable with being over 10% of the time.

I can still load a LOT of stuff in the RV, in the back, and not effect the pin weight all that much...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote