View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #81
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyride View Post
In our state the posted height is roughly 3 to 4 inches lower than the actual height (according to the Motor Carriers Road Atlas 2020). Not sure why that is, maybe for winter driving (snow load). Why don't you check with the Montana DOT to see if they have the actual clearance height. I'm sure if they have had some problems at that location they would be up to date with the actual height. We were up there a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly they were capping some sections of that road then. My garage opening is 14 feet and it is level going into the garage. I verified the garage opening height and parked the 5th wheel under it and measured the difference then did the math.
Few years ago while still working part time I left a Penske rental with a big box truck marked 12'6" height. Going down the street and checking my gps to get my bearings I looked up just as I entered and underpass to see the sign that said 12'4". All I could do was cringe and hope. No crash. Don't know how much I cleared by but I've been told most signs are low to allow for future repaving.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote