Thread: Trains
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusters View Post
Future planning:Potentially the Western MOC Rally is looking at Durango, Colorado for June 2021 and the big draw for myself will be the Durango/Silverton narrow gauge train. Just across the stateline in Chama, NM is the Cumbres & Toltec scenic steam train. Very expensive excursions, hope a group rate will be available at that time.
Haven’t ridden the Durango train, but can highly recommend the Cumbres & Toltec. They have 3 levels of service; coach, tourist, and parlor beginning at under $100 up to $185 for full length trip train from/to Antonito to/from Chama and bus back (or reverse) with a stop for lunch about half way. We just rode coach and that was fine. Higher levels offer better seating and service. I spent most of the trip standing in the open gondola car anyway. I suggest taking the train from Antonito to Chama and the bus back that evening. Antonito is in the high arid semi desert and Chama is in the mountains so you start in a somewhat desolate area and slowly climb into the mountains. I think the train would be somewhat anticlimactic in reverse order.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote