View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #31
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
There is no such thing as pre load on wheel bearings. I was instructed as a young teenager a Loooong time ago and I don't think it has changed. Anyway I have never had a wheel bearing fail.
The procedure is to tighten the nut till you feel drag while turning the drum. then back off to the next position you can lock it at. At his time all the drag should have disappeared and there should not be any play when you try to wiggle the drum. works for me
Just because you never heard of pre-load it does not mean it does not exist. End play is the same thing. Timken recommends checking the end play for 0.002-0.005 of an inch at the hub using a dial gauge. If you are using a tang washer or cotter pin backing off the nut like you are doing is close enough for proper preload. If you are using the Dexter spring clip you can get to that recommendation a little better. Preload and end play of bearings bearing is a terminology that manufacturers and folks in engineering used to describe how the bearing is installed. BTY after you travel at high way speed for a while and the hub are getting overly warm to the touch the bearings pre-load is too high. Here is a method to use and here is Dexters maintence video.
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote