View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've had RV ownership for about 25 years now, and as kid my parents had a travel trailer for year and years. Although we do not full time on the road, we've used all our campers "full time", except in the coldest months of the year.

I have found it's not necessary to stock pile a bunch of RV parts with anticipation of something breaking down. I have found, the item that breaks down is the very item I DON'T have. In the past, I hoarded spare parts and when the camper was traded for a new and different one, those parts were no longer usable on the new camper. I ended up giving everything away, just to get rid of it. After about the 2nd trailer of this repeating pattern, I came to the conclusion that if anything fails, I just figure out a way to get the part then and get it fixed.

Apart from some of those automotive style fuzes that I've been dragging along for the last 25 years (really), never blew one in 5 different RV's, and an extra light bulb for my lights, there's no need to actually drag anything else along. I do have a spare tire that got used a year ago, and a carry a Robertson (square head) screw driver. I do now have the tool to remove the electric heating element now, I purchased about 2 months ago when I realized the heating element was dead. And I carry the blow out plug for winterizing when using an air compressor instead of the pink-stuff. I do carry plenty of lumber for leveling, plenty of hoses for sewer, and plenty (actually lots) of electric cord and adapters for 20, 30, 50 amp electric service. But as far as extra "parts" for the toilet, the refrigerator, the water heater, stuff like that. No.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote