Thread: Crushed Rails
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #32
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellD View Post
I may be missing something here so help me understand. You hook up to your fiver, secure the latching jaws with safety pin, plug in your pigtail, close tailgate on truck and complete your walkaround. Jacks are up. Tug test with trailer brakes before leaving site. How does this happen with jaws on hitched closed and double checked?

I can tell you how...Start with a Pullrite slider hitch, secure it as you have explained, then at a fuel station stop, someone parks their minivan in front of the most convenient diesel pump and goes inside to eat, use bathroom, get a drink, ad finte nauseam, so you decide to do a 180 degree turn in the parking lot to use another pump. In the process of the turn, the emergency breakaway cable gets caught on something in the bed, pulls out the emergency breakaway pin and voila, the trailer brakes engage. As the turn is completed, the 40' trailer leverages the slider hitch and tears the jaws out of the hitch. What happens next you already know. Please don't ask how I know all of this. Today's diesel trucks develop so much torque, the resistance was barely noticeable and was mistaken for the drag of the slider hitch doing it's thing.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote