View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #15
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Ok we have all been distracted or forgot something in the set up to tear down process of camping, let hear the stories. I will start

Been RVing and Motor Yachting for 30 years yet every once and a while I get side tracked or distracted and something unplanned happens.

Anyway last week the day before leaving our campsite of 2 weeks I was flushing out the Black tank and as most of you know the tank cleaning system does not do a very good job and it helps tremendously to allow it to run with the discharge valve closed to fill it up a bit and then drain to help get the solids out. My process is to drain the tank close the valve and then let the flushing work for about 5-8 minutes then open the valve, I do this 3-4 times as I have for years and yes I am aware of the consequences of over filling during this process.

This time forgot to tell my wife I was flushing the black tank and not to use the toilet

Well the wife went to the bathroom to do her business and when she flushed the pressure from the tank flush with the hose still on created a back pressure causing the contents of the bowl to blow out and up when she tried to flush. Oh boy was she pissed LOL it splattered much of the bathroom and her...

While the black tank was maybe 1/2 full from the flush it still built up pressure. I always stand guard while I flush the tank it so happens this one time I forgot to inform her... That will not happen again at least with this wife... She laughed about it a few hours later but she did not think it was funny at the time.
I keep hearing stories like this. Turn off the exhaust fan, don't flush, smells coming up. I went on the roof with a hose and filled up the vent pipe for a while. When it didn't back up and I could see water flowing out the clear elbow I knew I had an operating vent. Now I never smell anything, I flush with the exhaust fan running and half fill the tank with the rinsers.
This is how it works when the vent is open. If your experience is different, I respectfully submit you have a vent problem. Try the hose in the vent and see if the water comes back up the vent or goes in the tank.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote