View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #58
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
duble0svn, yes it is the plastic thermostat face plates. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have solved the problem. According to Dometic, there is some sort of foam under the capacitive touch buttons that gets compressed when pushed too hard. They say you shouldn't "push" the button at all, but instead just tap it as if it were your smart phone. The original assumption was that the foam was compressed under the buttons and causing the sporadic issues.
After 2 weeks of running without these face plates, both units are now back to odd behavior. Sometimes they will shut off and not turn back on no matter how hot it gets. Other times, they will not shut off no matter how cold it gets. And other times, they do what I call a short cycle, where the unit runs for about 60 seconds, shuts off for 4 seconds, then runs another 60 seconds. This last one can be more or less than 60 seconds, but the off part of the cycle is always 4 seconds. Also, when doing this short cycling, the fan will sometimes be on high, other times on low. No rhyme or reason which one or when.
Brandon, bjacobs3791RD, has put up some you tube videos that shows this last behavior well. Unfortunately, my wife has had a death in the family so my troubleshooting has been put on hold while we prepare to travel home for family and funeral.
When getting the "short cycles" is your fan in auto mode? When in auto mode, these units will momentarily stop and switch fan speeds high>low as the thermostat set point is approached. Then repeat going from low>high as temp rises. Just a thought.

The behavior of these units (working ok for days/weeks, then shutting down, repeat) is very frustrating; for us and the techs that have to work on them. I've pretty much given up and run my fans on high all the time. My units have never not cooled; if they run, they work great.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote