View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Changin' Gears (Click here is packed full of great and timeless information about anything RV. They have many different check-lists, but the pre-delivery one (link above) is pretty good. Print it out and make your own notes before and during the inspection.

Congrats on your new camper.

But a word of warning... more than likely you will find almost nothing apparently wrong during your walk-through. Things begin to shake apart and fall off and break after the camper has been on the road bouncing around. Case in point:

My Montana appeared to be flawless, with the exception of a couple issues pointed out and agreed to fix on the spot. All well. Drove home, set up, and began to open the bedroom slide (in the rear of the camper, and I heard a "crunch!"

Cabinet door came open in transit and was in the way of slide and .... you guess it, ripped the cabinet door right off and bent up the hinges so bad, I had to replace everything. I called my dealer and they quickly said it was MY error. I should have checked the slides inside and out before extracting! REALLY ... your door came open in transit! Shouldn't it have stayed put! The cabinet was completely empty too. I fixed it myself and the put child safety catches and bungee cords on everything.

First trip out to Kentucky, 3 days after delivery! Closet rack and shelf completely separated from the wall and fell. It had only 4 small screws holding the entire shelf, cloths bar and evrything in place, and those screws were in 3/8 inch luna board with styrofoam insulation. It took 2 attempts and I rebuilt the closet .... myself ... from the bottom up with supports, from the floor up. Never fell again after that.

So, you see, there are issues you'll never see ... like 7 months after delivery, we were in Kentucky and I went to put blocks under the jacks to level up. And then discovered the wrap around side that goes under the trailer, all those screws holding on the aluminum under the trailer and broken through the aluminum and the entire side of the trailer was just dangling. I fixed that one myself also, by removing all the screws and getting the biggest damnedest washers I could find in the state of Kentucky and used about 5 tubes of Liquid Nails and reattached all the under skirting back to the trailer frame. I hope and pray I never have to remove the colorplast because it's now Liquid Nailed to the frame along with that under skirting.

So, not mentioned on any check-list .... crawl UNDER the trailer and check every screw and bolt to make sure they are not loose!

And my list can go on and on with things that didn't unearth themselves until after some use ... like when the wind blew real hard, the skirting directly under the bed room bed slide out would pop horribly. it took a couple months to figure out what was causing it, and the fix was to run metal supports inside the aluminum siding, like the bow on a bow and arrow, causing extreme pressure on the aluminum so it wouldn't move any more in the wind. It worked. i fixed that one myself too.

So, just beware ... things will not be unearthed until the camper is actually in use, and then, even that, make take a few months.

I had lots and lots of issues, and almost everything I fixed myself. At one point I was ready to dump the entire trailer because i fixed so many things on it. Then finally we had a successful trip where nothing broke, then another, then another. After about a year of fixing, patching and improving, things stopped coming loose or falling apart. And we've now had a second year with this same camper ..... so far ... absolutely no new issues.

What am i saying? PDI will not unearth every issue. Some things won't unearth themselves for a few months. Do your best to inspect, but don't be shocked when that first "thing" falls apart or fails! It will happen, even when you've done your best PDI effort.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote