View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #18
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Any TP will work just fine in an RV. As stated above, the secret is to use plenty of water in your black tank to flush everything out. RV specific labeled TP is usually not in your tank long enough to make any difference anyway.

With that said, any kind of TP you use in your house is suitable for an RV. There is nothing "special" about "RV" labeled items, except the higher price. Use whatever you use in your house and you'll be just fine.

Ever since we've had our first travel trailer (2004), I've been using the back-flush method when dumping my tanks. In every camper I've owned, the black and grey (shower) tanks join together at one outlet. Each tank has it's own pull valve. By attaching a 3rd valve, like a Flush King Click here or a knock off similar brand, you can back-flush your grey water into the black tank and flush it out without having to add ANY extra water.

Attach the Flush King valve.
Drain the black tank (you can see when it's done through that clear section of pipe)
Close the Flush King valve and open the grey tank valve, allowing water from the shower to back-flush into the black tank. Wait 10 seconds.
Close the grey tank valve, and open the Flush King valve again, dumping the black tank a second time.

Each time you back flush, the amount of left over TP (and other things), will be extracted from the tank. It doesn't matter what kind of TP you use, there is always some left in the tank. Even if it dissolves, the TP is still there, only now it's a shredded mess. Pass that water through a strainer and see how clogged it will get. It's doesn't just magically disappear, it just breaks down into a million little pieces that now cling on everything they touch. It's better to have the entire clump of TP dump out, than leaving residue after residue after residue building up in your tank. The backflushing helps tremendously in pulling all that remaining stuff out.

Depending upon how much water is in the grey tank, I can back flush the black tank 3 times, and still have some grey water left over to clean the hose at the end. I've been doing this since 2004. Tanks always clean, never smell.

And for those who think there is no benefit in back-flushing here's picture proof:

After the original "dump", here's the first Backflush:

Here's the second backflush:

And this one was 8 back flushes later (I kept adding water to the grey tank to do this as I was winterizing and wanted the tanks clean as possible for winter:

And as an FYI, after 8 back flushes, you can still see TP that pulled out:

Pretty nasty stuff that lingers behind, right?

Well, we solved the TP problem completely. Last November before the Covid thing started, we installed Bidets on all of our toilets in the house. They worked out so well, and we adjusted to them so quick, in February when we started sleeping in the camper again, we realized we wanted one in the Montana too. My wife ordered yet another one, I installed it in the Montana and then we had to wait another month before I unwinterized. (March 2020). Just in time for the Toilet Paper Pandemic to start!

Guess what? We never bought a single roll of TP during that entire time span. Didn't need too. My septic tank cleared up! Yes, I can open the lid, as I use it to dump at home. And ever since, we've not put ANY TP in the Montana black tank. It cleans out REAL nice now. No TP to hang up or to clog anything. No dirty nasty zip lock bag in the trash. We use a specified towel to dry the bottom. And, no TP!

If you have never tried a Bidet before, the first time is really kind of weird. But after that, you adjust, and then one day you realize how much you like it and how much you've saved not having to buy TP any more.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote