View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr7gt View Post
We went trailer shopping today. We were pretty much set on the Montana High Country 377 FL until we went through it trying to imagine towing it and where we would put our stuff. I was a little concerned at how low the back of the trailer was to the ground, it was lower than other trailers on the lot. Does anyone know if there would be issues dragging the frame going in/out of gas stations or other severe grade changes? We also didn't see a place to take our bikes & with no receiver there is no place to mount our bike rack. Are there other bike rack options?

We started looking at a Montana 3791RD. This trailer has plenty of places to bring golf clubs, bikes and just about anything else we could think of. We would have to give up the loft & 2nd door.

I think we are going to get the Legacy package. That seems like a nice upgrade especially the disk brakes. We will go out west and we will go to the Smokey Mountains in TN.

We are probably looking at one long multi week adventure ( 3 to 4 weeks ) per year, a shorter 1 week trip and some weekends. Will we even need storage? Is more space inside (like the loft) useful for stuff or more storage out side? I'm sure there are pluses and minuses, I don't know what they are so any thoughts would be nice.

It all depends on what you do and how you like to camp. I've seen folks having a grand time with a tarp and coleman lantern and others that unload literally for an entire day or 2 setting up camp. Sounds like bikes are a must so you need to think about how you transport them. If you search here an on other forums there are LOTS of different things folks have come up with to transport them.

We try to even out the load; inside vs outside vs truck bed. It's pretty hard to get too much inside storage - use it wisely. Exterior storage can go pretty quickly by the time you put tools, ladders, bbq pits/smokers, mats, etc. in. I've never had a loft nor wanted one so don't know what benefits that brings but I'm sure someone will chime in on that along with their thoughts. You might share what it is you want to do when you go; biking...maybe kayaking (see tons of them in FL), fishing; all of it has a bearing on what you take and how you pack.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote