View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #9
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Our biggest nitpick is the whole pantry / bathroom storage area on our 3790RD (which is similar to many other floorplans). Let me list the issues:
1. The pantry is surrounded by wall panel, but the area is so large that it makes the door look miniature. HC models have woodgrain panel and trim around the pantry door and look much nicer than the Montana's. IOW, lower end models look higher end, what??

2. The pantry has only 2 shelves (3 if you count the base). The shelves are massive, so ideal if your idea of pantry storage is to just pile things as deep and high as you can go. However, if your idea of pantry use is more like ours, you might prefer more shelves of moderate size where you can actually see what is in there, and even better, actually get to something without emptying bags full of stuff first.

3. Because the back wall of the pantry is so deep it is right up against the bathroom shower, it means that there is only one small towel cabinet in the bathroom, which is above the pantry door. And, even though there is just this one and only cabinet, the door is small and only about 8" wide. But the storage inside is so deep that there is no possible way to reach inside to the far corner. I guess every Montana customer must have asked the factory to create this towel storage with a tiny opening but cavernous space so that it can swallow years of items that will go in but can never be retrieved unless a small child with a headlamp is sent in. We must we really weird to want a larger door with a smaller cabinet. Oh, and maybe we are also weird to think that it would be better to do like almost every other manufacturer who makes the pantry shelves smaller so that they can have several towel storage cabinets.

It bothered me enough that I have ordered trim and a couple of doors from the factory so that I can make DIY modifications to the whole pantry and towel storage area, to make it much more like others are right from the factory. I don't have it all figured out yet, but it will look a lot different when I'm done.

Brad
The linen in our HC bathroom is nearly full height and easy to access. The downside for us is that the pantry is too shallow. I would have traded some of the bathroom linen for some of the pantry to be deeper. Is the grass always greener..?

We felt the same way about the number of shelves and the massive height between them. I built a shelf to match the others, removed them all, and reinstalled them in an even layout for better overall usage. DW is happy.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote