Thread: Shock absorbers
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Well this "know it all" has a bit of counterpoint to add into this melee. I will agree that the Roadmaster shocks with the way they can be mounted will do a bit of good. The Lippert shocks in the other ETrailer example won't do squat. Simply look at the angle of the shock and visualize just how much compression that shock is going to have on say a 2" to maybe 3" deflection?? 6" overall travel of your springs "stated from an engineering source" is a bit of a stretch say just tooling down the road. I figure more like 2-3" total spring travel unless you hit a deep pot hole. Watch the suspensions of vehicles you follow down the interstate to get my drift. With a shock laying over that far, what would you figure the shock compression to be if the spring reacted say 2.5" ... not much. Now at low speed rocking into a campsite, you might get closer to the 6" travel ... maybe. But then it is irrelevant because you're doing say 3-5 mph. My 2000 or 2005 Montana (can't remember which) had shocks straight from the factory, but they didn't do squat because they were mounted at an insane angle. I'd guess besides cost, the reason new models don't come shock equipped is the return in ride improvement is minimal.

Apparently bshgto has had rewarding results with his shocks, but I've put the laid over shocks on a couple of units and both owners reported barely noticable difference and felt their money would have best been spent on something else. Like bshgto ... I'd go with a different equalizer like EZ Flex. Equaflex, or the shown SRE 4000 instead.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote