View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 05:40 AM   #17
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I am 65 yrs old East Tx native and I have never experienced anything like this. I have seen plenty of pine trees ice up and crack and destroy electrical lines - but the power was always back on in time to watch Batman at 6:00 on the TV station out of Shreveport.

There is something that I have been wondering about. Are the heating systems in people’s homes equipped to handle temperatures likely we have been seeing. My heating system would probably be good for a little past zero but if it got down to say -20 I would haft to cut on the fireplace gas logs.
Lynwood
Our S&B has a 5 element electric furnace. 5KW each. Three are set up on one set of sequencers for normal use and that has always done the job in our just under 2,000sq ft home in SE Texas. The other two elements are on an aux sequencer and if the thermostat is set up correctly, if the temp in home continues to fall after lighting up the first 3 elements, it's supposed to light the other two. I replaced the wall thermostat a few years ago and did not wire up the aux sequencers. Over the last week, I've simply supplemented the home heating with a pair of 1,500 watt ceramic portable heaters. When we had power