View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #22
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
This is a conundrum for me.
I have been towing my 2006 Rockwood ultralight since 2016 with the Aluminum Ultimate in my 2016 Ram 2500 long bed, the frame's ball towards the tailgate ( which is how they say it is to be installed ) and the adaptor ball socket in front of the pin. This makes the pin pivot point behind the center of the trucks axle, and that was how clearance of the pinbox to the tailgate was best.

A few months ago I had to bring dad's Montana 31' (29XX) to my home, I removed my adaptor and installed it with the ball socket in front like my Rockwood, and found the pinbox was too close to hitting my tailgate for my liking. So I stepped back and assessed the situation, and realized the ball in front and putting the pivot behind the axle seems like more stress than rotating the Anderson adaptor 180 to make the socket closer to the trailer vs sticking in front of the pivot pin. This shows the adaptor's installation from Anderson. Go to 1:20 to see how to determine the adaptor's position:
https://youtu.be/SkjTuq_kc9M

I purchased a second adaptor block in anticipation of our ordered 3120rl, not sure if the Anderson will be for sale and I'll order the Reese pinbox adaptor or which direction I'll go. I do like the airbag on the Reese, but I might go back to a regular hitch. I like the fact that my trailer will have a unique hitch that none of my family or friends can move it with their rigs, or if it's time to go with the flow so others can move my trailer.

I'm emailing Anderson now about the adaptor for the rotaflex adaptor
https://andersenhitches.com/products...e90d7a79&_ss=r

and I just replied with the memo to see what they say.

The Anderson mounted on our road armor box requires the above adaptor , which my understanding is that adaptor eliminates the benefit of the road armor's bounce absorbing benefit of the pinbox. ?

Allen