View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #9
WhatExit?
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28356
Thanks to all of your for your posts, time and help! But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I have worked on 2 installations, albeit on molded rear panels not the flat back you have. But I bet they are the same under the skin. Remove the rear clearance lights and brake light (we used the left one both times). You can then run a fish wire across the top at the marker lights and then down the back along side the rear window. It should come out at the coroplast where you can then run it along the frame or in the area above the coroplast.
Thanks! But what is the "coroplast?"

If I understand it you're saying I can run a fish wire across the top from the center clearance light to the corner top marker light and then down to the brake light. And from there I run it down to the underside of the coach through/out at the coroplast (I assume that's the "stuff" that's the under-trailer liner?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
I have a 2006, which I installed a rear and side cameras on. Mine is mounted on the rear cap just below the center clearance light. Several attempts to get the wire snake, behind the cap and down the inside of the cap to the corner, no luck.

My kitchen is in the rear, there are cabinets above the sink. So, this is how I got the wire to run where I needed it to go. Mounted the camera on the cap. Drill the hole for the wire. On the inside of the RV, inside the cabinet above the sink, I cut a small square access hole. I was able to get the wire from the camera. Then on the side of cabinet where I wanted the wire to run down under the cap, I cut another access hole.

After cutting that hole, I found out there was part of the frame that was blocking me from running the wire the original way.I attached a string to the wire snake and started it down the access hole. I had help at this time to let me know when to snake made it through.

Tied up the camera cable to the string and pulled it down through the cap. From there the cable is tucked up under the trailer to the front compartment.
My camera is powered through the camera cable. Which is connected to the two side cameras in the front compartment. From there a pigtail to the truck, wired to the duplexed behind the back seat.

Yes, I have holes in my cabinet, but you can not see them. I just put the piece I cut out, back up with some duck tape.

My cameras have a 3 foot cable that is connected to them with a screw on connection. That gets connected to the extension cable the runs to the front compartment. The extra cable from the camera is just rolled up and sits in the cabinet above the sink.

Now running the cable, the way you want to, another thought. How long is the cable coming off your camera?

I left the camera to cable extension connection up in the cabinet. Glad I did as the original camera had a malfunction and had to be replaced. Easy fix with the connection being in the cabinet. Just had to pull the old camera off, run the cable in and hook it back up.

Can the original camera be removed? If so just put the new one there. If you can not get a wire down under the cap, run it inside the cabinet, to the side and out the bottom of the cabinet. Down the corner and out the bottom. You could cover it with some channel cover for cable, something like this https://www.amazon.com/One-Cord-Chan...ler-Management

Hopefully this helps you.
Thanks! The Ford factory Aux Camera has a plug in the plastic camera housing so I can remove/replace it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Similar to other replies I've had a wired rear camera on my last two Montana's. Took out the center marker light, the top right marker light, and the brake light. You have to have a patience but you can get a wire between all three and then drop enough of the underbelly to use a fish tape to get it from the rear cap forward. I also ended up terminating it on the pin box along with the existing breakaway cable. If you just can't get it from the center running light over to the marker light just drill through the back wall of your cabinets above the rear window if you have them in simply run the wire inside those cabinets.
Thanks! Sounds like I'll be spending some hours "fishing" in my 5th wheel trying to go from one light to another.

If I start with the center top marker light how will I get the camera cable from the camera mounting location up to the center market light? I assume I can drill in from the center top marker light into the cabinet (above the rear window) and then drill another hole from the planned camera mounting location into the cabinet and I can run the camera cable that way?
WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote