View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #34
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDH View Post
I'm not slamming anyone, just gathering info! I research everything prior to making a decision on which way I want to go. if I seem to come off as a little crass and insulting that is not my intent, but I've been on forums plenty of times before and since my profession is in the boating field I see a lot of false, misleading info posted when I know for certain what the answer is, so again its about wading through the BS to get the info I need. I also look at other resources beyond this particular forum including other forums, manufacturers, other people who have successfully done this, which in my opinion is the most valuable info due to it's real life situations and not speculation.

Well I think you've found your answer then. This is the largest forum for Montana 5th wheels on the internet, and no one has commented on how they've done it. So it seems no one has, but many are sharing their 'real life' experiences of not doing what you were suggesting or using various "extension trailers" instead.

On other forums, there were a few who installed Cruiserlifts on 5th wheels. There were a lot of issues. Cruiserlift used to advertise heavily for both Motorcoaches and 5th wheels, but now you won't find any reference to installing their lift on the back of 5th wheels, and no photos of any past installations. Motorcoaches have heavy duty "bus" frames, 5th wheels do not. The company now offers the SwivelWheel as their solution for 5th wheels.

In years past, I've done this research, and the answer I found was always the same - 5th wheel frames do not have the strength to support that much weight, that far from the axles, with that much overhang. My solution? I bought a used motorcycle to keep in AZ where we winter and gave up on trying to haul it with me.

Brad