Thread: 3761 Grey Tank
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
As stated above, according to Keystone's web site, you probably have 44 gallon tanks.

Are you hooked up to city water and running water in the camper from the garden hose, or are you running water from your fresh water tank via your on-board water pump?

If you are using water straight from the garden hose, then you are most likely using much more water than you realize and the tanks are simply filling up. If you forced yourself to run you water from your fresh water tank, you'll learn and be able to track much easier how much water you are actually using.

I've run many, many tests on my Montana attempting to figure out how much water is actually being used, and where.

It turns out, the highest water volume consumption is the kitchen sink. We use twice as much water in the kitchen sink (grey tank) than we do in the shower and bathroom sink, and that's for 2 people.

Second highest usage is the bathroom shower and sink, which uses about twice as much or more than the black tank.

How do I know this? First I fill my fresh water tank full. I know how much it holds. Then I dump my tanks into a Blue Tote. We very, very seldom camp with full hook-ups. We (sometimes) have water on site, but very, very seldom do we have sewer hook-ups. When we do, it's really a treat!

So, I can calculate how much water is being used by the amount being dumped into the blue tote to hall to the dump station.

If the black tank (1 toilet only) = 1
The shower and bathroom sink = 2
The kitchen sink = 4

Now that we have installed a washing machine and dryer (Splendid stackable), I've measured .... very carefully ... how much discharge is coming out of the bathroom grey tank for a given load of wash. It's slightly more than 8 gallons of water.

Well, that changes the usage. Bathroom shower-sink-washing machine is the highest usage. On that same scale, as often as we do laundry, that puts the bathroom grey tank at about 16.

That's right. For ever 1 gallon of water in the toilet, there is 16 gallons of water going into the bathroom grey tank, and the kitchen is still 4 gallons. When you have a 50 gallon fresh water tank and you monitor it for fill ups and catch your sewage as you discard it, you learn real fast, that Navy showers are still a must.

I think you are simply using more water than you realize. It's just that simple.

Now, about leaving those tanks open....

Do an experiment. Wash dishes in your kitchen sink. When you are done, pull the drain and let it drain completely out. What happens? The water drains and takes most of solids with it. But it still leaves behind streaks of grease, BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce, crumbs, bits of noodles, bits of corn, bits of carrots, bits of meat that stick to the sink.

If that stuff sticks to the sink and you've pulled the plug and let the water "swoosh" out.... um ... how much of the stuff is sticking to the bottom of your kitchen grey water tank when it doesn't have water to "swoosh" it on down. Unlike a 2 inch pipe in your house where tons and tons of water push everything down a very narrow passage, the bottom of your grey tank is pretty flat! All that stuff that goes down there, will stick down there too! The more water you have in the tank to flush it out, the more likely you'll get that crud out of there.

We are able to dump our tanks on the ground at home. We have a septic system, so the black tank always goes into the septic tank, but the grey water in both the kitchen and bathroom often get dumped on the ground. And believe me .... if you've ever dumped your kitchen water on the ground.... IT STINKS! I quit dumping the kitchen water on the ground for this very reason. The crud that stick inside the tanks is worse than you think.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote