View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 09:55 PM   #16
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
OK, finished the installation of the third unit. I stuck with the basic set up using the circuit provided by Keystone. The main issues and frustrations I had was the amount of information available to accomplish this project DIY. Keystone couldn't or wouldn't tell me what "Pre-wired" involved. When the AC unit arrived, it had no documentation with it and I had to find it online. When the Air Distribution box showed up, it had no documentation and I had to find it online. Same thing with the controller and thermostat. Figuring out out how to mount the controller so all the wires were neat and orderly took a couple of attempts. It is pretty much plug and play once you figure out how the parts fit together. You pull the Fan unit out and the wiring is there and hot. be careful. I left the wiring as provided so I can't run all three at the same time at this time. I can always change that if I choose later. I did turn them on and actually I don't think you need them all to run all the time. The new unit is slaved to the bedroom unit. I turned the two original units on to initially cool the coach. The bedroom cools faster and turned off when the set temp was reached. The new unit then turned on and helped cool the main living area. We were about 94 the day I was testing it. I waited until late afternoon when the interior was the warmest. Pretty close to 91 inside. When the new 3rd unit turned on after the bedroom was down to what I had set the room at, 76 the living room had cooled to about 88. Within about 30 minutes, the living area had cooled to 78 and continued to cool to the 72 I had set that room to not too long after. The bedroom and the third unit alternated running with the bedroom having the priority. I think is going to work just fine. The only thing left I need to figure out is related to the thermostat. It is giving me an E4 error which apparently means that it is looking for an outside temp sensor for the heat pump (which I didn't purchase). There should be and probably is a way to disable that code.

If I had to do it again, I would order the lower profile roof unit. Probably added a few inches to the total height of the trailer. Shouldn't be an issue, I hope.

Hope this helps some of you who are looking to add the third unit. The most difficult part of the project was getting the actual AC unit on the roof.

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote