View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #9
watsonjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18104
Welcome to the Forums. We drive a RAM 3500 Dual Rear Wheel (DRW) that tows a 40' 2017 3721RL. Actually on travel days my wife who is 5' 0" drives it while I work from the passenger seat. She gets some surprised looks from people on the road and when she gets out of the truck.
We had looked at RV's for a couple of years before settling on a model that we wanted and then I went to the dealer and said "If we want to tow this anywhere in the US, what truck should I get.". They gave us the truck specs we should get and that is what we bought.
Yes, driving the DRW for errands can be a little daunting at first and you may want to pick a spot in the back of the lot rather than the one closest to the grocery door for a while, but it is definitely manageable. However, I believe having a DRW makes towing the 5er much easier and more enjoyable. I would echo the suggestion of finding an empty parking lot and using a couple of cones to get used to maneuvering the truck and trailer. And when camping maybe start by kicking in the few extra bucks for the pull-through sites, but you will quickly gain confidence with it.
With regards to working from the road, I too am in IT and we had the opportunity to leave our house in our daughters hands and go out and work from the road. We were out nine months last year and will be out ten months this year. We primarily use an ATT Netgear hotspot for service, and have only once needed to use our Verizon prepaid hotspot, but it is good to have that as an option if you find yourself in a dead zone. We do also have a cell booster that I will put up when needed, but have found that a window mounted antenna works well for me in most instances. We travelled through 22 states last year (mostly the middle 3rd of the country) and will be visiting another 22 states this year (mostly in the right 3rd of the country). I am careful when booking campgrounds to check for service and in general will err on sites closer to civilization since I need a reliable connection from 8:30am-6pm M-F. But I cannot emphasize enough what an amazing opportunity this has been for us. We have heard there is a window between when your kids are independent and when you get grandchildren, that is 'Your Time' and we plan to make the most of it.
I would be happy to share all the equipment we use and any other questions you may have. I know it is a bit of a leap of faith getting out and working from the road, but these last two years have been some of the best years of our lives.
- David & Jean Ann
watsonjones is offline   Reply With Quote