View Single Post
Old 11-10-2021, 02:17 AM   #1
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Angry Spring Hangers in wrong place on LCI Frame from Factory

Well, after more than a year trying to get alignment and replacement of my rear axle, it turns out that the spring hangers were welded onto the frame in the wrong place.
According to Lippert, the center hole of middle spring hanger is supposed to be 230 1/4" from the front cross member and 30 1/2" between hangers, with only a 1/4" +/- tolerance. The middle and rear hangers on the right side are over 6" off from that measurement, causing the rear axle to be significantly out of alignment with the frame and front axle. This was discovered after 2 different replacement axles wouldn't fit and measurements were taken and compared to the LCI specs and diagrams.
Apparently, the hangers were welded onto the frame in the wrong place at the factory and the rear leaf springs were bent and modified to fit the wrong placement. They are now paying for a mobile welder to cut off the hangers and weld them on in the correct position.
If you are having excessive wear on the inside edge of your tires on one side, particularly on one axle, you might have the same problem. I had to replace tires near the end of the first year due to the wear on the inside edge was down to the belts. An easy way of determining if this could be the problem is to measure and compare the hangers on each side. In my case, the door side hangers were more than 6" shorter than the ODS (left) side hangers. This was at such an angle that it was also causing stress and separation of the leaf springs from being twisted in a bind.
According to LCI, this could have resulted in catastrophic failure of the suspension and the rear axle shearing off the trailer at highway speeds. Scary thought
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote