Thread: SOLAR for dummy
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
JPz, we have the Super Solar, which is quite a bit different, but almost all solar is the same in certain respects. I apologize if this is too simplistic. First and foremost, the panels on the roof go to a solar charge controller that goes to your batteries. Obviously, your solar panels convert sunlight to electricity and the charge controller determines how fast to charge your batteries based on composition- lead acid, AGM, or lithium. Your Jaboni readout (or a Victron) goes to your battery. In our case, the Victron charge controllers and the Victron battery gage are both readable on our phone via Bluetooth. Others have mentioned changing to a Victron. All power comes from your battery to your inverter which changes 12v to 120v. So, only you can determine if the system is meeting your needs. Read the Jaboni manual (look in files or download from Keystone’s sight). Read up and if you’re not happy, read the Victron manual. I will say we are very happy with the Victron components, but we will be doing a lot of boondocking with ours. If I was building a solar system a piece at a time, I would start with a good gage to see my battery statistics- usage, state of charge, etc. Next, I would get lithium batteries, and then I would build my system around them. There are a lot of people here to help if they understand what you have and are trying to do. What batteries, how many watts of solar, using solar to keep batteries charged while traveling? Enjoy your new rig and let us know how we can help.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote