View Single Post
Old 02-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
EllsworthToohey,

My, my, my .... I will say... THAT'S IMPRESSIVE! Oh my!

Never in a million years would I have ever thought of using epoxy resin for such a project as something like this. I'm beyond ecstatic for your post! This is such an easy solution for a really nasty problem (wood rot). Oh my! Thank-you for sharing!

I've been a hobby woodworker all my life. I've remodeled (completely gutted all rooms) in 3 different houses over the course of my lifetime. I enjoy scroll saw work (fretwork), I've built cabinets, installed bathtubs, and run electric wiring and plumbing. I've done ditch work, sewer work, concrete work, and roofing. (oh my have I done roofing). Never got paid for any of it, except the resale of my own house. But been doing this all my life, from the time I was a kid I had a hammer in my hand.

But, it wasn't until last December my wife suggest we cover the counter top for the cabinet I'm building with resin instead of polyurethane. I watched lots and lots of YouTube videos on how to apply the epoxy as I was building the cabinet.

I'd never worked or even considered resin before for any project. like I said, I've had a lifetime of woodworking experience too.

So, when the cabinet reached the point where I needed to finish out the top, I did it! It took 2 packages = a total of 2 gallons, and I applied 2 coats. All along I had my serious doubts, until the resin leveled itself and came out looking like glass! Oh my goodness!

I watched all kind of YouTube videos on folks using epoxy resin on all kinds of things, including imbedding a dandy lion! Watched how they used resin to fill cracks, gaps, rotten portions of wood to give character to bar tops and such. But NEVER did I connect the dots about using this stuff for rotten wood filler.

My friend ... you have just opened my eyes and my mind to some wild new ideas for epoxy resin! Wow!

Here's my counter top. First photo is the before resin, second is after resin!

FYI, those two holes, and later small boxes? That's so electric cords can be pushed in them and plugged in from under the cabinet top. It keeps wires from being a tangled mess on the counter top. Also, I do not have doors yet, and I'm currently making an addition before attaching the doors, a gigantic combined bread box and potato bin which will be part of this cabinet. But the top of the cabinet:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote