View Single Post
Old 03-13-2022, 01:38 PM   #18
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellomumsy View Post
Hi all,

I know pieces of this are probably covered in other threads, but this is more of a basic question (I've been searching). We have a new Montana with a SolarFlex system. It's parked on a local campground where it will be when we aren't traveling. It was late getting to us so they winterized it for us. So we got it and we haven't been able to use it, yet! But our first trip is coming up in May. Headed to FL, with stops along the east coast. We will be taking our dog. Our RV has the basic SolarFlex system. 2022 Montana High Country 295RL. It's our retirement gift!

Safety questions (for our pup)

My most basic question is if the power goes out, does the SolarFlex system automatically kick in to keep the air conditioner running? I'm worried about the heat when we have to leave our pup behind. And afraid to go anyplace where I wouldn't be able to get back in time should the air conditioning system fail.

Do you leave a spare key with the campground in case of emergency? Or hide it someplace on the outside of the RV where you can tell them to look?

What monitoring system do you use? I've read that campground wifi can be spotty, but we also won't be traveling in our RV year-round, so probably would prefer to get a wifi device. But I'm thinking that might be problematic if wifi connectivity at campgrounds is a common issue. I saw a recommendation for a separate hotspot device, which seems costly and we would only want it while traveling.

Is there an RV app that would allow you to actually keep tabs on (or even operate) your temperature/solar controls remotely instead of getting a separate device? Sort of like what Nest heating controls for your home do?

Would love to get a blink camera (system). I've read that they will alert temperature issues, is that true? But maybe they are too much for campground wifi systems?

I also plan on keeping the shades down - to help keep it cooler and keep him from barking at passersby.

That's a lot of questions, but in general, I'm looking for advice on how to keep my dog safe. I know we won't be able to bring him everywhere we want to visit. But he'll come with us whenever he can.

Thanks!

Chris
I have 600AH of Lithium batteries, I NEVER run the AC on battery. You have a lot of learning to do, but first step is do NOT leave the dog alone. The factory installed solar systems are a good start, but still need beefing up for real world use. I have all Victron equipmnent and yes there is an app so I can monitor from anywhere BUT of course the RV has to be connected to the net somehow. Thanks to Elon Musk, we RVers now have the best solution with Starlink, works everywhere and fairly inexpensive.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote