View Single Post
Old 03-24-2022, 01:56 PM   #7
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
My turn by turn works and I have never been on the connected navigation. Truck is a year old. I will admit though that I don’t know all that much about the nav system. I haven’t heard of connected navigation until your post, I had to look it up. I use my iPhone on the Ford screen if I don’t know where I’m going, I think it gives clearer instructions. I use an rv gps when pulling. I only have the Ford navigation because it comes with the lariat trim level. I wouldn’t order it, just me I guess.
Another thing I don’t like about the Ford nav is the fact that it won’t let us change routes while driving, it says it’s unsafe to be keying in new addresses while moving, which it is if it was the driver doing the keying. Drove the DW nuts.
I think you probably have Sync 3, like my Explorer and '19 F-450. It is my understanding that this will work for three years, but not sure what happens after that. The Sync 4 navigation on the new trucks (Lariat and above) is only good for 90 days unless you pay.

I agree there are better options for navigation. It is just upsetting that we pay for this with the truck and then they extort more money to keep it working. What's next; a subscription price so your AC keeps working?

You can fix it to change routes while driving using Forscan. I did it on my 2019, pretty easy. Also change things like turn off the double beep when you get out of the truck. It sounds a little complicated at first, but pretty easy once you do it a couple times. It's safe as long as you back up all your original data before changing anything. All you need is a laptop and an inexpensive OBD interface. Ton of information here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ces-index.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...iscovered.html

PS: Interesting note on the Sync 3 navigation in my Explorer. When entering routes while driving, it says something like "Unsafe for driver to change while driving, verify you are a passenger to continue"; that is the way it should be. My '19 F-450 just said "not available while driving" (until I hacked it). Not sure why they have different software; only Ford knows.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote