View Single Post
Old 04-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #7
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
The fact that this fault occurred even when not towing points to the TV. Just to share my experience, several years ago my TV started intermittent reporting of trailer disconnected (it wasn't) and trailer brake failure. I had my TV iin the shop several times to address this and they came up blank every time. Turns out that my TV sends a health and status signal to the trailer every 5 seconds over the line from the TBC to the brake magnets. An intermittent short circuit in the trailer brake wiring will result in this kind of behavior by the TV. After checking everything several times and finding no problem, I remembered an old article in Trailer Life Magazine about chaffed brake wires inside the trailer axle shorting to the inside of the axle tube. After a day of towing and not knowing if I was going to have trailer brakes or not for every stop, I decided i was not moving again until I bypassed the wires in the axle tubes. I went to NAPA and bought a couple spools of wire, some crimp connectors and some zip ties, disconnected the factory wires and ran new ones on the outside of the axle. Voila!!! Problem solved. When I got home from that trip I pulled the wires out of the axles and found chaffing through the insulation to the copper in multiple places. The problem was intermittent because the wires were free to bounce around in the axle tubes. What first steered me in this direction was noticing that the fault messages always seemed to occur when on bumpy terrain or after hitting a bad bridge transition. Until I got this fixed i was worried about liability in case of an accident and adjusted my driving accordingly.