View Single Post
Old 06-01-2022, 06:11 PM   #18
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Many years ago when my kids were younger we did this all the time. At the time I had a Starcraft Wanderstar 35’ fifth wheel and it actually had an intercom built-in to be hardwired to the tow vehicle, but I did not have the part that went in the tow vehicle so we just used GMRS radios. I pulled it with a club cab Dodge pick up and it was not very comfortable for the kids in the back seat sitting sideways.

I actually rode in the 5’er once want on a long trip across the country while my wife drove. I could not believe all the rattles and noises in that camper while underway.

I had a rule that the kids were to keep the blinds polled and not to interact with any other vehicles on the road. Once while traveling on I 29 in South Dakota, I was pulled over by a state trooper. He came up to my window and told me he saw my girls in the camper and asked if I had communication to talk to them. I answered that I did and picked up the radio and called them. They would not answer me because they were afraid they were in trouble because I got pulled over. Turns out they had opened the blinds and we’re waving at everybody that passed us , including the trooper! I told them… “ If you girls don’t answer me right away this nice man is going to take your dad to jail!” They finally answered and the trooper told me we were all good and he went on his way.

The girls always sat in the dinette booth and played games while we were underway. They rode thousands of miles back there without incident. That being said, when I was a kid I rode hundreds of miles in the back end of an open pickup! Would not see that anymore these days would we?

In my opinion there is not a lot different between riding in a fifth wheel trailer versus riding in a motorhome, unless couches and recliners have seatbelts that I am not aware of. I would not make the same argument for travel trailers, but fifth wheels are much more stable on the road.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote