View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 09:33 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Tall awnings! I had an "Ah-HA!" moment today!

We've had our Montana for about 4 years now. The very first problem I encountered with this camper was the inability to reach the awning arms to tilt the awning for rain shedding, from the ground. In order to do so, I always had to use a ladder of some sort, or stand on a picnic table if it was positioned right. These awning are tall. And I'm not!

So, on many occasions, I don't even bother putting the awning out as the knobs on the arms need to be turned to lock them in place, not only for shedding water, but also to help stabilize in the wind.

Today, I had the "Ah-HA!" moment of realization of a very, very, very simple solution. One that was so obvious, I couldn't see the trees for the forest!

First, here's a couple photos of one of the awning arms, front of camper, forward arm. Notice how high that arm is. And this is in the tilted position now.

For what it's worth, in the next photo that blue "shower house" is taller than I am for a point of perspective:

And I'm sure, most of you have the same issue....

So, when looking at these photos, do you see the solution? It's right there in front of you!

OK, here it comes?

Notice on the forward awning arm, its right beside that window? That window is at the top of the steps leading from the kitchen (bottom level) to the upper level front living room. OH DUH! Why didn't I see this a long time ago!

Simply slide the window up, slide the screen up, and I can EASILY reach outside the window, pull the awning arm in, and EASILY reach that turn knob to lock it down! OH MY!

Unfortunately, the rear arm is not close enough to a window to reach. But being able to tilt one arm for rain run off is fantastic!

Now, on the back side of the camper, above the rear door, we had installed another awning. It's identical to the front one and equally, just as tall. BUT, this one can be reached very EASY through both windows beside it! And another "DUH!" Why didn't I think of this sooner ... like 4 years ago!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote