View Single Post
Old 07-21-2022, 05:53 AM   #8
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I don't understand, if you truck and trailer are not licensed / titled in North Carolina, how can NC do that? First, how did they find you? How did they single you out?

Now, if you are licensed and titled in North Carolina, that's a totally different matter.

If you are not a resident of that state, if you are not registered or titled in that state, if you do not vote in that state, if your bank account is not in that state, if your home of record on your drivers license is not in that state, if your automobile and trailer insurance is not in that state, if your health insurance is not in that state, then I sure wouldn't pay. This makes no sense at all.
I completely agree. The rig was setup like you would see in any short stay campsite. Nothing that would indicate that we were permanent residents. It has valid, up to date, Florida plates on it.

I have no idea by what mechanism they single you out but they were able to get the notice to me at my mail forwarding mailbox in Florida and the address was spot on so I'm assuming from a government database.

If I have it figured right it'll cost us about $350 if we cannot get them to drop it. Not paying it isn't an option as they'll surely issue a tax warrant.

I really wanted others to know about this which is why I posted it.

We will NOT be staying in anything but military campgrounds in the state of NC from here on. Just not worth the worry/hassle.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote