View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 05:58 PM   #7
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Brad, allow me to anticipate a few of your questions with some more details.

To size the interconnecting wires to my new batteries I looked at max charge and discharge rates. I have changed the Magnum Energy charger setting to 100% so it will now charge at 125 amps DC on shore power (BattleBorn states you can charge as fast as 50% the rated A-Hr capacity or about 125 amps per battery!!). 2400 watts of solar charging at 13.5 volts could add as much as another 180 amps for a max possible charge rate of about 300 amps (shore + solar).

The inverter can generate 25 amps of 110VAC power so that is 205 amps at 13.5 VDC. Other DC users could draw more but I don't expect greater than an additional 50 amps. So charging is the maximum amperage expected.

Only half of this load will go to my new batteries. The BattleBorn manual recommends 2/0 wiring for 25 ft (one way) up to 150 amps. I went with 4/0 to minimize the voltage drop. I used 200 amp fuses at each end as the next step up from my expected maximum.

The only other change to the Magnum charger settings was to increase the absorb time to 3 hours (this is the maximum allowable setting). BattleBorn recommends 1 hour per battery. I also increased this setting in the Victron Energy charge controllers.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best, Mike
MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote