View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #1
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Sidewall Cracks - NOT Frame Flex

I have had a crack in the sidewall of our 3791RD at the bottom front corner of the rear door side slide for some time now. Our dealer has attempted repair three times. Each time, they have cut a progressively larger square out of the sidewall and patched it.
I just picked up the rig last Thursday. I have gone about 120 miles and stopped for the night, and sure enough, it is starting to crack again!
Each repair has gotten progressively worse. And now I have a crack forming on the bottom front corner of the opposite slide on the ODS side. So far, that one is only about an inch long.
We are on a trip for the next several months and won't be home until early January.
Let me say that Keystone has been great about covering the repairs under warranty, but I have absolutely no faith that the dealer is capable of making the repair correctly based on previous attempts and I'm reluctant to allow them to keep cutting larger and larger holes into the side of our rig.
Has anyone had a similar problem and had it repaired?
I'm aware of the "frame flex" issues with the front bedroom slide, but I haven't seen anything regarding this being a problem at the rear living room slides.
I have looked inside the wall as best I can with an endoscope and I can't find any broken frame or cracked welds in the framing at the slide. The stationary wall does not move in or out as the slide moves in/out either. The cracks almost seem like stress cracks. Dealer confirmed that there isn't any broken welds or framing in the wall near the cracks.
In talking with Keystone prior to this most recent repair attempt, they wanted me to return it to the dealer for a third repair since they have already paid the dealer to fix it and it is the dealer's responsibility to fix it. Having said that, I really don't think the dealer is capable of fixing it properly. They have had it for nearly 6 months at different times to fix it and have been completely unsuccessful. Each "repair" gets progressively larger and worse. We really love our Montana and don't want to give it up, but I'm starting to wonder if we may have a lemon, especially since the ODS side is starting to crack in the same place now.
Can anyone shed some light on the problem and/or a fix?
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote