Thread: Wildlife
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Bobwhite populations in North Texas have been decimated by fire ants. We used to have dove like flies, but thinking they have been way over hunted. I can only smile and shrug my shoulders when neighbors complain about the lack of deer, for the DW and I watch them near our yard multiple days per week. I no longer hunt (DW won't eat "Bambi"), but I'm the only one I know of in the county who plants a deer food plot each year within 60 yards of the S&B. Neighbors only put out corn feeders and wind up feeding raccoons instead. Don't even get me started on the wild hogs. I've seen them totally decimate a 150 acre winter wheat field literally overnight. Fishing is still really good, so no complaints there. We've seen deer, hawks and falcons raised within rock throwing distance, and of all things a pair of turkey vultures raised their chicks in our open front barn this year. I do sorely miss the cooing of dove and the whistling call of bobwhites. All in all we've been blessed though....
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote