View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 03:36 PM   #18
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Like beeje I would not defend EZ Lube nor recommend anyone using it. Too many instances of grease on brakes. BUT. They did work fine for me. I first tried it before all the reports of greased brakes. So I continued.

After 14 years my 2007 only had a little over 20,000 miles on it. So about 1,500 miles per year. Every 3rd year I used the EZ Lube system. I slowly pumped in new grease while continuously turning the wheel. Took a while but eventually the darker colored grease would all be pushed out thru the outer bearing and nothing but new red grease would start coming out. Meaning new grease had been pushed thru the inner bearing and out the outer bearing displacing all the old grease.

After towing it some distance I would check each brake by jacking a wheel, pulling the breakaway switch, and rotating the wheel to see if it locked up. And repeat for each wheel. Then the next time I hooked up, I get moving about 5 mph and manually engage the brake to endure that all wheels locked up on a gravel drive. They would also bring a quick stop but not lock up on pavement. Never a brake problem.

Never a problem for me. And no, a hub full of grease does not cause overheating as I can attest by routinely towing in 100 plus degree Texas weather. Hubs never got more than slightly warm. Normal.

And again no, I never pulled the hubs to check the bearings. And again, they never got more than a normal warm. Lucky? Maybe. We’ll never know.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote