View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 01:59 PM   #18
PDGx

M.O.C. #24867
I was always more concerned about the cheap clips being knocked out of the pins when loading stuff in the bed, or somehow (or by someone) the pins come out and not know it until the hitch separates while in transit.
Here's a suggestion:
The 'holes' in the head are not actually round (.60" h x .45"w) and they use a 7/16" (~.43") pin so you have to improvise.
What you can do is use a 1/2" Reese Receiver lock and modify it. You need to use the one with the bent pin (PN #7064) as the 'dogbone' locks do not give you enough room to apply the lock. The bent pin is approximately 6.5" from tip to tip.
In order to fit it into the oblong hole, you will need to narrow the width of the pin to approximately 7/16" (.43) by grinding the opposing sides, from the lock end tip to the bend.
The easiest way is to grip it in a vise with one side up, just above the vise jaw, and grind it flat, then turn it over (carefull it's going to be HOT) and do it again. You need to remove about 1/32" from each side, but since these pins don't carry any weight, taking a bit more, isn't going to hurt a thing.
Then insert the pin into the hole with the tail sticking up, as you can't get the pin in far enough for the lock, if you put it tail down.
One lock may do the job for theft prevention, but I'm more concerned with the clip and pins coming out, and not knowing it, so I suggest using 2.
Having the additional 1/16" height also takes out a bit of the slop in the hitch against the bushing.
Hopefully the picture is self explanatory - if not, let me know. My hitch was not installed with this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E3594DA-AE65-40F8-A21B-1BEBC714498B.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	14311  
PDGx is offline   Reply With Quote