View Single Post
Old 04-08-2023, 08:28 PM   #1
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Bad trailer brake

Many things on my checklist getting the rig ready for the season. Already de-winterized and sanitized the FW system. Discovered a leak in the HW tank. I think is coming out of the anode rod fitting. Tomorrow I'll remove it, run a tap through it (half way), clean it, wrap the anode rod with a LOT more tape, put it back in and leak check it again.
I raised the rig up on the jacks and tested the brakes, controller, and brake away switch. Everything worked fine except for the right rear tire. The brake didn't work at all. I checked the voltage at the splice by sticking a needle through the wire. Nothing.
I cut the splice off and checked again. 9.8vdc. I checked the resistance of the magnetic coil. 0 Ohms. It should read between 3-4 Ohms.
Pulled the wheel hub and saw the problem.
The wires had rubbed against the hub and worn through. I wondered how that had happened. Apparently they were missing three wire clips that hold it to the actuator arm. I compared it to a new spare (left hand) brake that did have the wire clips.
I spliced the wires back together and secured them from chaffing again. Cleaned and greased the bearings and reassembled everything. Tested it. Everything works fine 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer electric brake bad 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	14332   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230408_201503.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	14333  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote