View Single Post
Old 06-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #7
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by hblosser View Post
We have a 2015 Montana 3610RL with the Norcold 2118 RV refrigerator. For some time, it has not been able to keep things cold when the outside temps reach 80 or over. I've done all the normal things like extra fans inside and outside. Nothing helps much. We're planning a long trip out west in July and we've decided to stop at JC Refrigeration and have our refrigerator cooling unit replaced.

The question is which option to choose. My wife likes the idea of keeping the AC/Propane unit so the controls all work the same. The folks at JC Refrigeration are recommending their new 12 dual compressor unit. They have said that although their AC/Propane units are much superior to the originals, they will still have difficulties when temps reach 90 for more.

We already have dual batteries and could easily run the 12 volt unit. However, keeping the wife happy is also important. Does anyone have actual experience with either of the two options?
I had issues with my original Dometic propane/electric refrigerator. Did everything possible to help the cooling process, adding fans etc. Just got fed up and had the JC Refrigeration 12 volt unit installed. Best money I have ever spent. I did not have an inverter, and did not want to install one. I have a traditional DC converter. The 12 volt compressor system pulls about 7 amps when compressor is running. Of course, when it’s not running, it draws 0. The new cooling system is wired directly to your battery bank and requires a 10 guage wire. I live in North Texas and I can tell you at 100+ degrees I maintain at least 37 degrees in fridge and 15 to 19 degrees BELOW 0 in the freezer. My ice cream is rock hard. At night my fridge will go to 35 and freezer 20-22 below. Temp recovery from frequent fridge door opening is minutes, not hours like a evaporator propane fridge. NO worries about propane running your fridge during travel, no fire hazard. Your tv probably puts out about 7 amps while traveling and I have never even come close to a low battery situation from the fridge running. I would highly recommend the 12 volt system. If you already have an inverter, you can go either way, 120 v ac or 12 v dc. Dump that piece of crap propane/electric cooling system. You will never be happy with it especially if you are already having cooling issues. I have had my 12 v system over 2 years now with superb performance all year. Just returned from 10 days boondocking in Dixie National forest and ran my generator for a few hours a day to recharge batteries. My 12 v refrigerator was never a concern. You will be happy with your new cooling system. I sure am.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote