View Single Post
Old 08-15-2023, 07:22 AM   #35
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
More disaster updates. Left Pagosa and about 700 miles later the serpentine belt shredded. Young guy helped me get a new one and installed. He thought fan looked a little crooked which caused the belt to fray and shred. Well 30 miles later the new belt disappeared while on I90. PAid to get towed to nearby park because Good Same was going to take over 5.5 hours which would be 11 pm. Paid again to tow truck to repair place and rent a car for $150 a day. By the time we got from airport rental to his shop, he had already ordered a new fan assembly. But overnighting it from Denver to Bozeman, it somehow ended up in Memphis!!!!!!! The fan was so loose you could grab the blades and wiggle them about 1 1/2 inches!!!! So the fan apparently was going bad on the first belt and died on the 2nd one.
Other than a diesel smell when I start it, the engine is doing well.

So then about 600 miles later, we are heading into Rock Springs, Wy. Tire on trailer blows. Takes out 3 J panels, the 'plastic' fender, and 2 side trim pieces on the slides! I dismantled it so I could drive it home - skipping 8 more days at places we liked along the way. Oh, paid $130 for guy to come from Les Schwab and change tire, since road was narrow and wheel was on white line on side of road and of course it was the side with the bad tire. Bought a new tire (trailer version vs. my Michelins) and they put in 100 psi on my old rims which are 80 psi!!! I caught that right away. And strange part is TPMS gave a warning about 5 seconds AFTER it blew - so I think a tire delaminated or something.

I am not 2 days out from home and hoping I make it!!!

This has really been a disaster summer. Well, as far as traveling goes anyway - we are both still healthy (for old geezers), but may have some issues with nerves and ulcers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Don't know if I mentioned above but canceled 3 weeks in Canada and a 9 day stay at fishing bridge which must be booked 1 year in advance!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote