Thread: Dish TV
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2023, 12:35 PM   #37
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I have been a Dishnetwork customer at my home for >25 years. When I bought my Monty, I negotiated a King Tailgater and a Wally receiver into the deal. I haven't used it in a while because most places we go for any length of time have really good cable. Since I'm a Dish customer, I can turn the Wally on/off as often as I like. It used to be $5.00 for a month (minimum length of time), setup can be done over the phone or with their app which is much easier, you just need the zip code where you are camping. If you're camping in a wooded area, that can be detrimental.

The power injector is built into the Wally, at least on mine. It supplies a low DC voltage to the dish for the sole purpose of driving the little servo in the dish to make it move from 1 satellite to another. Due to it's size the portable dishes can only pick up 1 satellite at a time. The instructions say to point the handle on the dish due north and will self align based on what channel you select. My King has dual outputs, I've only used one though. There is one caveat that might or might not be an issue for you: Since it can only pick up one satellite at a time, you are limited to channels on that particular satellite and there are many, if you add another receiver. If you're watching a ball game on ESPN and the spouse wants to watch a Hallmark movie, it won't work unless they're sourced from the same satellite. I haven't looked but there should be a listing somewhere listing channels available on any given satellite, might be a good thing to print out and keep with you.

Trying to make your on board wiring work with a portable dish could be extremely frustrating. I've spent days trying to map mine out with no success. The raw satellite signal from the dish to receiver is very sensitive and any splitters, couplers must be rated for 2.5 Mhz, they recommend using RG6 quad shield coax and compression type fittings. My rig has an outdoor TV in a slide and the TV in the living room is directly behind it. I'm going to try to install an inlet port somewhere in the slide and could easily split and feed it inside, we rarely use the TV in the bedroom. The distribution for my crank up antenna and park cable work very well and I really don't want to mess with that system.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote